Stomach flu (or viral gastroenteritis) may be acquired through contact with an infected person or ingestion of contaminated water and/or food. This can cause abdominal cramps, watery diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or even fever. So far, there is no known effective medical treatment for this condition, but it can be prevented.
Providers of urgent care services in Modesto, California recommend frequent and proper hand-washing as the easiest and most effective way to avoid getting the stomach flu. You should also make sure that the food that you eat or the drinks that you take are not from contaminated sources.
Some symptoms of stomach flu include watery (nonbloody) diarrhea, abdominal pain/cramps, nausea, vomiting, head/muscle aches, and low-grade fever. If you or your loved one experience these symptoms, please do not hesitate to contact our walk-in medical clinic in California immediately.
Some other signs that you should visit a medical clinic as soon as possible are:
- inability to keep down liquids for 24 hours,
- vomiting for over 48 hours,
- dehydration (dry mouth, yellow/little/no urine, dizziness/lightheadedness),
- blood in your vomit or bowel movements, and
- fever above 40 degrees Celsius or 104 degrees Fahrenheit.